Give your child some uncooked pasta to play with. There are SO MANY THINGS they can do with pasta, and many of these make great fine motor skills activities:
- Sort by shape or type of pasta
- Load it up on a toy dump truck and unload in another container
- Pretend to feed it to a doll or stuffed animal
- Stick some linguine or fettuccine into an upside down Styrofoam bowl (or into a ball of play dough) and try to place some penne or ziti pasta onto the linguine
- Give your child a colander and have them stick spaghetti into the holes
- Give your child some yarn and they can string macaroni, penne, or ziti onto the yarn to make a necklace
- Make a macaroni picture frame
- Color the pasta with paint or markers
- Stack pasta to see who can make the tallest tower
View this post on Instagram
This is a great activity if your child doesn't like pasta (or won't eat some pasta shapes) because it gets them to touch and interact with the pasta and get used to it, with the hopes that they won't be put off by that pasta shape later on when it's cooked!
Don't forget to use the hashtag #52weeksofsensory and tag @highchairchronicles if you post any pictures on social media!