This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full disclosure.
Focaccia is one of the easiest breads to make from scratch. Your child can help mix the dough, knead the dough, and press the dough with their fingers before it goes to bake. They can even get their hands slimy and help spread the olive oil over the top of the dough.
Here is my friend's fool-proof recipe (and yes, a kitchen scale really is best for fool-proof results):
- 500 g all purpose flour (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 packet instant yeast (7 grams)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus several tablespoons extra for brushing (or use garlic olive oil for extra flavor!)
- 400 mL warm water (1 and ⅔ cups)
- Optional: fresh or dried rosemary or thyme
- Mix all the ingredients together (from flour to the warm water) in a large bowl. Use a fork to stir them together until a shaggy rough dough forms, then get in with your hands and mix until you get a ball of dough.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes (you'll need to do this! Your kid can certainly help but they are probably not strong enough to knead dough thoroughly for so long, and you need to knead it to activate the yeast and the gluten). Add extra flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the dough becomes too sticky.
- Spray the dough with olive oil (or brush with olive oil). Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rise undisturbed in a warm spot for about a half hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough (your kid can totally do this!). Spray a 13x9 baking pan with olive oil, and spread the dough out in the pan. Cove with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425F about 15 minutes before baking.
- Use your fingers to gently make indentations in the dough.
- Brush the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and herbs, if using.
- Bake at 425F for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
This recipe contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information provided is just an estimate and will vary based on the actual ingredients you use. If you are tracking nutrition for yourself or your child, check with a nutritionist, dietitian, or pediatrician about whether this recipe is right for you or your child.
Don't forget to use the hashtag #52weeksofsensory and tag @highchairchronicles if you post any pictures on social media!